Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Night at the Circus: An Encore Performance

Grab your marabous and clutch the pearls: there is a mouse in the house!

So, the noise we heard the other night came back for an encore performance...  However, instead of just making noise around the fireplace, it decided to drop in for a visit on top of the fireplace box.

Now, I never knew I could sing like Mariah Carey; but apparently this warranted an octave that only this thing could hear!  I mean, seriously.  It was dancing around on top of the fireplace box like friggin' Savion Glover. ALL. NIGHT.LONG.  Tickity, tick, tick, tick!  I was TERRIFIED.  I stayed up the whole night to once again make sure that it didn't come in; because if it did and I was asleep, the thought of me not being able to run off screaming like a crazed lunatic made me... well... just a regular lunatic.

 Hubs, once again, was asleep. Aside from the minimum of 50 times that I woke him up for a status report.

IMMEDIATELY that night, I called a road kill company and scheduled an appointment for the next morning. I was not going to handle this without reinforcements!  And those reinforcements came at a price: $200 just to take a look around and make sure that I didn't need to be committed.  I began to think this could be a good career choice for me; pending that I could get over my white knuckle, heart attack fear...

...perhaps, I could assess the situation from the curb??? No???

I digress...

So, to my surprise, a woman came to my door to service the problem!  I immediately thought of the posters from the 1950's with the women mechanics and how different this was from the burly man with plumber's crack, two teeth, and hair that looked like a few of the rat's nests he collected along the way I'd imagined would come.  I kinda felt like a wuss... for about .03 seconds.

She was going to take on the BEAST!  Kill it with her bare hands and that little flashlight thingy on top of her head! I was going to insert an evil laugh at it as she carted it away!!!! MUWAHAHAHAHAHA!

She came out of the attic and determined that it might be a flying squirrel... or a mouse.... or rats... or Dr. Damn Seuss... and proceeded to set the traps.  She added up a total assessment to fix the house (another $400) and handed me an invoice. Said she would be back on Friday.

... Ummm, come again?!?!?  No, really, you can stay in the guest room... better yet, in our bedroom until you can catch it!  REALLY! I cook and EVERYTHING! Feel how plush the bed is!

...no go... :-(

So, until Fivel moves out via the hearse express, I have decided to have an in house staycation in the guest room (aka- hubs is not paying for the St. Regis, Ritz... not even the Super 8 so get in where you fit in, sistah!).  Funny thing is that it actually does feel like I'm sleeping at a hotel... minus the spa, and housekeeping... Not only that, I'm closer to the children's rooms; which is nice- until they wake up at zero o'clock.

Pray for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment