Tuesday, July 19, 2011

There is a Place For Us...

A picture of the back splash I created in our condo. It's GAW-JUSSS... from afar...


I think in another life, I must have been an interior designer... or maybe I just had more decorative use for the straw in my hut than the next chick...  But either way, when it comes to DIY and home decor, I am like a 3 year old: I think I can do EVERYTHING by myself.

This obsession with DIY has been going on for a long time.  As a youngster, used to look at those old JC Penny catalogs, you know- the ones that used to double as booster seats in the kitchen, and relish over the items I would buy for my doll house once my father finally popped it out of the press board and put it together. However, upon further recollection of this memory, I realize this was something that never happened as it was in a garage sale during my teen years... looking all lonely... still in the box. Dying for miniature furniture...

Sorry... I lost myself in consulting my inner child... where was I?

Oh yes, DIY.   I look at all these blogs around the internet and everything looks so beautiful and easy to create. The posts promise that I, too, can go to my local Goodwill, buy something for $2, spray paint it and make it look like a million bucks; preferably in one afternoon and while wearing my marabou slippers and baking a pie.

But behind the scenes, these chicks are doing the most!  Working with miter saws! Painting with power sprayers! Shooting off nail guns! Cutting to exact measurements! Pouring chemicals! All types of shenanigans that would take your fingers off- not to mention, ruin a good mani!

So here's the thing with my DIY'ing: I need shortcuts!  I am a sucker for short cuts! Where's the Gorilla Glue? The duct tape? Coloring it in with a marker??? The love of measurements that are "good enough for now"???

Child, you can't tell me that Gorilla Glue can't build a house! I've once built a custom shoji screen using Gorilla Glue, florescent light screens and some wood molding that was cut "good enough"  from the hardware store.  Never mind the fact that I had to check on it everyday to see if it was still standing! The fact was, it was done- and so was I!  A DIY project off my list!

But I still NEED to DIY something.  Anything! Maybe my kitchen can use a double side taped floor?  And then I saw it: the place for people like me.  It was on Censtational Girl's website and it's taking place June of 2012.  The Haven Conference. Where my favorite DIY bloggers will give me endless reasons to spend my 401k in Hobby Lobby and Home Depot so I can make beautiful new doo-dad thingies!  It's going to be GRANDTASTIC!!!!! And it's happening right in my backyard so no excuses!

The conference promises to show me how to create all sorts of goodies.  And get this: YOU'LL LEARN HOW TO USE POWER TOOLS! Uhhh-huh!!!! Like the stuff that is more powerful than my $10 drill- although that little sucka gets the job done...  Just look behind my TV for proof!  Wall looks like Swiss cheese back there. Don't tell anyone, mmmk?

With any hopes, I'll be able to show off my new kitchen done ALL BY MYSELF.... and an electrician.  Because there are somethings I'll NEVER attempt!

Until that time, crooked is the new straight. Pass it on...

No comments:

Post a Comment